A classic roast chicken is a thing of beauty.
- 140g (100g + 40g) butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 200g stale bread, chopped into small pieces or breadcrumb
- 50g porridge oats
- 100g feta cheese, or goat cheese
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the 100g butter in a saucepan and add the red onion and garlic. Cook over a low heat for about 2-3 minutes until softened. Remove from the heat and transfer into a bowl.
- Add in the lemon zest and juice, the chopped herbs, the porridge, breadcrumbs pieces, and feta and mix well to create the stuffing. Season this mixture lightly and set aside until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the stuffing using a parchment pocket to fit the cavity and tie the chicken with twine.
- Place the chicken onto a roasting tray set on a craft of carrots and onions. Loosen the skin of the chicken and taking the last 40g of butter, gently massage the butter into the breasts of the chicken. Season generously with salt and cracked black pepper over the skin.
- Place the chicken in the oven and roast about an hour and half or until the juices run clear out of the chicken thighs when pierced.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and set five minutes aside to settle the juices.
- Remove the stuffing from the cavity into a serving platter and carve the chicken.
- Serve immediately with your favourite sides, mine are roasties!