I cannot think of a more decadent, comforting, and easy dessert than this old-fashioned friend.
- 100g pudding rice
- A knob of butter
- 40g Caster sugar
- 700ml full fat milk
- 500ml cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
- A grating of nutmeg
- 8 plums, halved and stoned
- A tablespoon of caster sugar
- A tablespoon of orange juice.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/ Gas mark 4
- Pour the milk, cream and vanilla into a pan and bring to the boil. Butter a small baking dish and ass the rice and the sugar, then pout over the hot vanilla milk and cream .
- Grate nutmeg on top and bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour until the rice is soft and a crust has formed.
- Arrange the plums skin side down on a small ovenproof dish, sprinkle with sugar and drizzle with orange juice.
- Bake in the oven (at 180c Gas 4)- I do this while the rice pudding is baking.
- After ten minutes turn the plums and cook for another 5 minutes, set aside.
- Divide the rice pudding between 4 bowls and spoon the plums on top.