A freezer-friendly recipe from Neven Maguire.
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 6 Jane Russell toasted fennel and chilli sausages
- a small handful of fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 x 280g jars of tomato and mascarpone sauce (or similar)
- 350g conchiglioni (large pasta shells)
- 150g Gorgonzola or buffalo mozzarella, cut into cubes
- 4 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sautéed spinach and garlic (optional)
- Crispy sage leaves (optional)
Conchiglioni or large pasta shells can now be found in lots of supermarkets, but if you can't get hold of them, simply use the smaller variety, conchiglie, and toss all the ingredients together before baking. Of course, you can use any type of premium sausage, but Jane Russell's meaty toasted fennel and chilli ones are so tasty they’re hard to beat!
- Preheat the oven to 180°c (350°F/gas mark 4).
- heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Sauté the onion for 3–4 minutes, until softened and just beginning to catch around the edges.
- Meanwhile, remove the sausages from their skins and divide into small balls. Add to the onion with the sage and sauté for another 2–3 minutes, until browned. Add 5–6 tablespoons of the tomato and
- mascarpone sauce to moisten the mixture a little and season to taste.
- Put the pasta shells into a large pan of boiling salted water and return to the boil. Simmer for 3 minutes, then drain.
- Pour the rest of the opened jar of tomato and mascarpone sauce into a shallow baking dish about 1.5 litres in capacity. Arrange the pasta shells on top and fill with the sausage mixture. Pour over the other jar of tomato and mascarpone sauce and scatter the Gorgonzola or mozzarella and the Parmesan on top. this can be covered with cling film and kept in the fridge or is perfect for freezing.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, until bubbling and golden, then crumble over the crispy sage leaves (if using).
- Serve straight to the table with a bowl of sautéed spinach and garlic if liked.