A delicious recipe from Brian McDermott on Today with Claire Byrne on RTÉ Radio 1.
Bacon and Leek is one of my all-time favourite combinations, and when added to potatoes, that flavour combines with the creamy texture to deliver an unbeatable rich taste.
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 600ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced into rounds
- 25g butter for greasing dish
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, snipped
- 75ml cream
- Pre heat oven to 200c
- Place the potatoes in a pot, add the potatoes and leeks, cover with hot stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 6 minutes. Add the cream and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Brush a deep oven proof dish with butter and the potatoes, bacon and leeks.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 40 minutes, uncovering halfway through so that the bacon on top crisps up.
Brian's Top Tip:
Add some grated cheese on top of the final layer for a scrumptious, bubbly topping.