A delicious recipe from Brian McDermott on Today with Claire Byrne on RTÉ Radio 1.
I knew how to make this dish before I was able to pronounce it. I first learned it at catering college in Killybegs in the early nineties and I've loved it ever since. It’s a classic but easy to make and tastes great with steak and many other meats.
- 1 kg washed, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 500ml cream
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Peel and slice the garlic and place in a saucepan. Add the cream. Heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime slice the potatoes into thin slices, about 3mm thick.
- Place a layer of potatoes in an earthenware dish and season with pepper
- Repeat until all the potatoes are used.
- Sieve the cream into the potatoes removing the garlic slices.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of last layer of potatoes.
- Cover with a lid or tin foil. Cook for 1 and a half hours
- Remove lid or tin foil and cook for further 20 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Brian's Top Tip:
Sprinkle cheese in between each layer of potato for a super cheesy flavour.