A delicious recipe from Brian McDermott on Today with Claire Byrne on RTÉ Radio 1.
Poundies are the same as champ, but growing up in Donegal, everyone's Mammy made poundies. For me, coming home from School for a plate of poundies is a standout memory of home-cooked food.
- 1 kg potatoes
- 100ml milk
- 75g cream
- 50g butter
- pinch ground white
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- 2 Scallions washed and sliced
- Wash and peel the potatoes then cook in boiling water until soft.
- Drain the cooking water off and return potatoes to the heat for a minute to evaporate further moisture.
- In a separate saucepan melt the butter with the scallions until the mixture sweats. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the milk and cream and allow liquid to warm.
- Season the potatoes with white ground pepper, salt and nutmeg. Start to mash the potatoes and when mashed add in the liquid and return potatoes to the heat. Continue to mash constantly until you have no lumps.
Brian's Top Tip:
Turn any leftover Poundies into potato cakes by shaping them into rounds and pan frying in butter.