This hearty Italian soup is ideal on cold days.
- 125g cannellini or borlotti beans
- Handful flat-leaf parsley – shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400g tin chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 good handful cavolo nero, stalks removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- Handful of roasted crusty bread torn into rough pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 large spring rosemary
- Heat the olive oil and cook the garlic until lightly golden.
- Add the onions and celery, sweat on a low heat for 6-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes and stock and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the beans, rosemary, parsley and cavolo nero, cook for another two to three minutes.
- Just before serving, remove the sprig of rosemary and fold in the bread. Allow to soak a little.
- Season and serve with some olive oil and grated parmesan over the top.