This is a super recipe, very simple to make. The addition of yogurt makes for a moist light cake and the yogurt's natural acidity gives a tangy flavour which complements the sweetness.
- 280g caster sugar
- 200g Irish yogurt Greek style natural yogurt
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 335g plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon of bread soda - sieved
- 5 eggs
- 3 heaped dessert spoons of instant coffee dissolved in three dessert spoons of boiling water
- 250g icing sugar
- 2 heaped tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp of boiling water
- 90g butter
- 80g walnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Line a 23cm x 32 cm tin with parchment paper.
- Beat the eggs together n a small bowl with a fork.
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl (including the eggs) and mix to combine.
- Pour into prepared tin , bake for about 30 minutes. To check if it's cooked through, pierce the cake with a skewer, if it comes out clean then the cake is cooked.
- Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water. Met the putter in a saucepan. Take it off the heat and add the coffee and icing sugar, stir well.
- Spread over cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.