Chef Brian McDermott joined Today with Claire Byrne on RTÉ Radio 1 to share some cost-effective recipes.
- 500g Diced beef
- 40g Mild or medium curry powder
- 30ml Olive oil
- 1 Large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Bayleaf
- 1 Tin tomatoes, chopped
- 25g Tomato puree
- 1 Tin coconut milk
- Heat the pressure cooker. Add the oil and fry the diced onion, garlic and bayleaf. Fry until brown then add the diced beef and fry until all sides of the beef is sealed.
- Add the curry powder and stir to allow the beef to be coated in the curry powder.
- Add the tomato puree and chopped tomatoes followed by the coconut milk.
- Close the lid and seal the pressure cooker. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Carefully release the pressure of the lid and open the cooker. Test that the beef is tender and if so this dish is ready to serve. If further cooking is required to ensure tender pieces of beef close the lid and increase the cooking for a further 10/12 minutes.