Brian McDermott's joined Claire Byrne on RTÉ Radio 1 to share some tasty and cost-effective recipes.
- 300g White short grain rice
- 500ml Chicken stock
- 1 Onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Clove, garlic crushed
- 100g Peas (frozen is fine)
- 100g Chorizo
- 30g Soy sauce (light)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 scallions washed and chopped
- Wash the rice twice in cold water draining it each time.
- Cut the chorizo into small diced pieces. In a small frying pan fry the chorizo and onion with the garlic until onion is soft. The chorizo will release enough oil for the frying.
- Transfer to the rice cooker add the rice and bayleaf and cover with stock.
- Close the lid and cook until rice is cooked and liquid is almost absorbed.
- Open the lid and add the peas and chopped scallions and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Then add the soy sauce and turn off the heat. Stir together and serve immediately.