Derry Clarke's peppered mackerel, tomato, apple & watermelon, horseradish cream: Today
- 4 Mackerel filets
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns cracked
- 2 Plum Tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 watermelon, peeled and seeds removed, cut into cubes
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 1 Red Onion peeled and sliced
- 1 Green Apple sliced
- I Shallot peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch Basil
- 100ml cream lightly whipped.
- 1 tablespoon Horseradish sauce.
- Wash the mackerel fillets under cold water pat dry with kitchen towel, cover with sea salt and leave to cure for 10 minutes.
- Remove salt by rinsing under cold water, pat dry with a kitchen towel. Place mackerel in fridge for a couple of hours, remove from fridge 1 hour before cooking.
- With a sharp knife make light criss-cross incisions into the Mackerel skin, season with the cracked black peppercorns.
- Heat a large frying pan, add vegetable oil and place Mackerel Fillets skin side down on pan cook for 3 minutes and turn cook for a further minute, squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Mix the olive oil, mustard and vinegar, add shallot, and season the dressing with salt and pepper. Mix the cream and horseradish.
- Place tomato, watermelon, apple and onion on plate, spoon over dressing. Place Mackerel on top.
- Finish with Basil and horseradish cream