Creamy panna cotta pairs perfectly with the tart flavour of roasted rhubarb.
- 300ml (10 fl oz) cream
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 leaf of gelatine
- 50g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 300g rhubarb, trimmed, approx 6 stalks (weigh when trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons chopped unsalted pistachios
- Put the cream, the caster sugar and the vanilla pod in a saucepan and slowly bring up to a simmer. Turn off the heat and leave to infuse.
- Meanwhile, put the gelatine leaf into a bowl with just enough water to cover it.
- After 3-4 minutes it will have softened completely. At that point, take it out of the water and put into the saucepan with the hot cream. Whisk gently until the gelatine dissolves. If the cream has cooled down too much you might need to reheat it slightly with the gelatine.
- Pour into ramekins or glasses then place in the fridge for about 2 hours until set. Serve with the roasted rhubarb and finally a scattering of chopped pistachios.
For the roasted rhubarb:
- To roast the rhubarb, preheat the oven to 230'C. Trim the rhubarb and slice it at an angle into pieces 2-3cm long, tip into a bowl.
- Place the butter and the caster sugar in a saucepan and stir to melt the butter. Pour over the rhubarb and mix then spread out in a single layer in a baking tray.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, until tender and a little scorched around the edges.