Prep/Cook time: approx 1 hour 20 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 750g diced pork, shoulder or loin
- 2 tbsp butter
- 250g button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 100ml chicken stock - cube is fine
- 100ml cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 375g ready-rolled shop bought puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing the pastry
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and celery for 5 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaves and the herbs.
- Cook for a few minutes, then transfer to a ovenproof casserole dish.
- Dust the pork with the flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining olive oil and brown the pork for a few minutes, then add to the dish.
- Melt a knob of butter in the pan and cook the mushrooms for a few minutes. Add to the pork and onions and mix.
- Mix the chicken stock with the cream and the lemon zest. Season well and pour into the dish.
- Unroll the pastry and place on top of the dish.
- Trim the edges and use the pastry trimmings to decorate the top of the pie. Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with creamy mash potato and green veg.