- 80g brown basmati rice
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250g mushrooms (chestnut or ordinary)
- 225g lean striploin steak
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil (15g)
- 100g half fat crème fraiche or cooking cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard (5g)
- 100ml beef stock (from ¼ a stock cube – reduced sodium)
- handful flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)
- salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the rice in a sieve and put in a pan with 100ml of water and a pinch of salt (optional). Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover with a lid. Simmer for 15 minutes and then leave to sit for another 10 minutes for perfectly cooked rice.
- Cut the onion in half, then peel and thinly slice. Peel the garlic cloves and crush. Trim the mushrooms and cut into slices.
- Trim the steak if necessary and cut into slices. Put the crème fraiche or cooking cream, mustard and stock into a jug and whisk to combine.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add half of the oil and swirl it around the pan. Tip in the onion and sauté for 10 minutes until well softened and lightly golden. Add the crushed garlic and mushrooms and season lightly with salt (optional) and pepper. Sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Increase the heat, tip the steak into the pan and sauté quickly for 1-2 minutes until just sealed.
- Pour in the stock mixture and simmer gently for about 5 minutes until the sauce has nicely reduced and thickened
- Divide the rice between plates and top with the beef stroganoff. Tear over the parsley leaves, if using to serve.