- 1.8-2.25kg (4-5lbs) streaky or loin of bacon, either smoked or unsmoked
- 400g (14oz)/1 small tin of pineapple - use 3-4 tablespoons approx. of the juice
- 350g (12oz) brown Demerara sugar (not soft brown sugar)
- whole cloves 20-30 approx.
- Cover the bacon in cold water and bring slowly to the boil, if the bacon is very salty there will be a white froth on top of the water, in this case it is preferable to discard this water.
- It may be necessary to change the water several times depending on how salty the bacon is, finally cover with hot water and simmer until almost cooked, allow 25-30 minutes approx. to the lb.
- Remove the rind, score the fat into a diamond pattern, and stud with cloves. Blend brown sugar to a thick paste with a little pineapple juice, 3-4 tablespoons approx, be careful not to make it too liquid. Spread this over the bacon.
- Bake in a fully preheated hot oven 250°C/475°F/Gas Mark 9 until the top has caramelised – baste the bacon 3 or 4 times during this time. It will take 10 – 15 minutes approximately to caramelise. Remove to a carving dish.
- Carve in thin slices lengthwise so each slice includes some of the eye of the loin and streaky bacon.
Note: We use loin of bacon off the bone.