- 6 large free range eggs, separated
- 175g caster sugar
- 750g mascarpone cheese
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 375g savoiardi di fonni or ladyfinger biscuits
- 500ml espresso
- Good splash of vin santo or Marsala
- 450g dark chocolate, in large thich shavings (best quality)
- 2 x 400g cans caramel or dulce de leche
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- 100g white chocolate, in large thick shavings
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Trifle bowl (clear so layers are visible)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light and frothy. Mix in the mascarpone and vanilla until combined and set aside.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until white and stiff. Add a large spoonful of the beaten egg whites to the egg yolk mixture and mix through. Add the rest of the egg whites and fold through gently.
- Arrange the savoiardi di fonni or ladyfinger biscuits to the base of a trifle bowl. Soak them in the espresso and splash with a little vin santo or Marsala.
- Carefully spread a layer of the mascarpone mixture and sprinkle over a little of the dark chocolate shavings, then spread a few tablespoons of the caramel or dulce de leche.
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients, ending with a final layer of mascarpone mix.
- Dust with a little cocoa powder and decorate with the rest of the dark and the white chocolate shavings. Chill until ready to serve.