If you prefer to use a brownie instead of a Swiss roll it will work well too!
For the chocolate custard:
- 400ml milk
- 200ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 egg yolks
- 75g sugar
- 100g dark or milk chocolate
To build the trifle:
- 1 chocolate Swiss roll
- 200g mascarpone
- 200ml freshly whipped cream, extra to serve
- 2-3 tbsp sherry or other alcohol, optional
- 200g berry compote
- 100g berry jam
- 200g raspberries
- 50g chocolate, to serve
- Firstly, prepare the custard. Place the milk, cream, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and corn flour together until light and creamy. Pour half of the boiled cream mixture onto the eggs and mix well. Return all the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a low heat until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon. It is important to always stir the mixture to prevent it from curdling. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate, and stir until fully combined. Set aside until cool.
- Combine, in a bowl, the mascarpone with the lightly whipped cream to create a light mascarpone mixture.
- Slice the Swiss roll into pieces and line the base of a serving trifle bowl. drizzle with some sherry or other alcohol if desired then top with some mascarpone mixture and berry compote.
- Next, pour over some chocolate custard and add a layer of Swiss roll and the rest of the custard. add the rest of the mascarpone cream. set aside to settle for one hour in the fridge or overnight.
- When ready to serve, decorate with fresh berries and grated chocolate.