- 3-4 carrots peeled and cut into even sized lengths
- 3-4 beetroots, peeled and cut into even sized wedges
- 1tsp. fennel seeds
- 2-3 star anise
- olive oil
- handful of winter salad leaves, washed and torn into pieces
- 2 oranges, cut in half
- 20ml. white wine vinegar
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 200g soft goats cheese or curd
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC
- Add the carrots to a pot of boiling salted water and cook for about 5 minutes, use a slotted spoon to remove them and allow them to drain. Use the same water and cook the beetroot for about 5 minutes and allow them to drain too. Add the carrots and beetroot to a bowl, add the fennel and star anise, a pinch of salt and pepper, some oil and toss them around. Place them evenly on a tray. Put the orange halves on the tray with the vegetables (make sure the cut half is facing down and in contact with the tray) put the tray in the oven. Roast them for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are crispy.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Discard the star anise. Use a thongs to squeeze the juice from the orange halves. Squeeze this into a bowl, add in any juice form the pan. Add in the vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Taste, season and adjust if necessary.
- Add the carrots and beets to a large bowl, add the salad leaves, mix this well. Add in the dressing and mix this well. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Divide this between 4 bowls, place a little goats cheese on top of each on and serve immediately.