Watch Donal's Family Kitchen, Wednesdays on RTÉ One at 7:30pm.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 large free range eggs
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- 2 brioche buns
- 6 slices of streaky bacon, cooked until crisp
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium high heat and add a splash of olive oil. Add the tomatoes and thyme to the pan once hot and give it a generous season of sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until they reduce and just about hold their shape - they should be saucy and jammy.
- For the scrambled eggs, melt a good knob of butter in a small non-stick frying pan over a medium high heat. Whisk the eggs in a bowl with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- When the butter foams, pour the eggs into the pan and using a spatula, working quickly, lift and fold the set eggs into the runny and continue until you have soft velvety strands that are still ever so slightly runny. If you're using the cheese, fold through at this point until melted.
- Toast the brioche buns and place on a serving plate. Top with bacon, eggs and a generous dollop of the jammy hot tomatoes. Repeat with the second set of toasted buns.
- Serve immediately and devour - one bite optional!