Try to have all the cake batter ingredients at room temperature. This will help combine all the ingredients easier and have a smoother batter.
Serves: 10 slices approx
Prep/cook time: Approx 1 ½ hours
Caramel Apple Topping:
- 85g unsalted butter
- 100g dark brown sugar
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled and cut into wedges
- 185g sifted plain four
- 1.5 tsp sugar ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 115g butter - unsalted
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g Demerara sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 ml full fat milk
Caramel Apple Topping:
- Place butter, cinnamon stick and brown sugar together in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, whisking constantly, for at least 1 minute until the mixture thickens and goes slightly darker. Remove from heat and add in the vanilla extract.
- Pour into a round cake tin at least 2 inches deep. Arrange the apple slices neatly on top, overlapping where necessary.
- Place tin in the fridge and get ready to prepare the cake batter mix. If you want, the topping can actually be done the day before and let it set properly.
- Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment cream the butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes. In a separate bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg and salt and keep to one side.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla to the butter and whisk until combined. Carefully add the flour mix to the mixer and mix together.
- Once combined turn the speed down low and slowly add the milk to the batter. Remove from the stand and with a spatula combine to make sure there are no lumps. Do not overwork the batter.
- Preheat the oven to 175oC
- Remove the cake tin from the fridge and spread the batter evenly over the apples.
- Place the tin in the oven and bake for 40- 45 mins or until a skewer is entered into the centre and comes out clean. If the cake is going very dark halfway through lightly cover with foil. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes. Place a serving plate over the cake and carefully turn out onto the plate. Allow to cool to room temperature, slice and serve.