This is a great family cake. It is quite dark when baked because of the wholemeal flour and brown sugar. If you prefer, you can substitute the porter for the juice of one lemon and orange.
- 700g Mixed fruit such as currants, sultanas and dates.
- 200ml of Porter
- 200g soft butter (it is important that the butter is soft)
- 350g Muscovado sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 450g Wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon for baking powder
- A level teaspoon of mixed spice
- 50g Flaked almonds or chopper walnuts for sprinkling
- 150ml of buttermilk
- The night before weigh out the fruit into a bowl and pour the porter over it. Cover the bowl in cling film and leave in a warm place over night.
- Pre heat the oven to 140C.
- Line a 9inch round or square tin, I prefer a square tin as I find it easier for cutting.
- Measure all the cake ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the soaked fruit and soaking liquid, beat all ingredients together for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the cake mix into the prepared tin , sprinkle nuts on top.
- Bale in the pre heated oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in tin, I usually leave the cake in the tin overnight. When removing from the tin leave the lining paper on as this helps to keep the cake moist. To store wrap in foil and keep in a cool place.