Watch Neven's Spanish Food Trails on Wednesdays at 8:30pm on RTÉ One.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cornfed chicken breasts, skin on bone removed
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 100g Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 50g sundried tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 yellow pepper, core & seeds removed and diced
- 350g fong grain rice
- 1 large pinch of saffron threads, soaked in 2 tbsp of boiling water
- 150ml dry white wine
- 500ml chicken stock
- 100g fresh/frozen peas
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- Sea salt
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas Mark 4)
- Add 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil to a large casserole dish with a lid.
- Season the chicken, add to the dish, skin side down, and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Turnover and cook for another minute or so until sealed. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and tip in the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Add the chorizo, sundried tomatoes and yellow pepper
- Add in the rice and stir well to combine and coat the rice in the juices from the chorizo
- Carefully add the soaked saffron and water to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring regularly until the chorizo has begun to release its oil and all the rice grains are well coated.
- Deglaze with the wine, stirring to combine, then add the stock
- Add in the pea's & mix through.
- Arrange the sealed chicken on top, pushing down into the rice.
- Cover with the lid, place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the chicken and rice are cooked through and tender.
- Scatter over the parsley and a sprinkle of sea salt
- Place the cherry tomatoes around the top of the dish, finish with a grate of lemon zest and serve directly to the table