Prep/Cook time: Approx 45 mins (longer if you want to marinade the chicken overnight)
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, sliced in half lengthways
- 65 ml maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 60g mayonnaise
- 200g streaky bacon, halved
- 1/4 head red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, thinly grated
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 head baby gem lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 brioche burger buns
- Smoked BBQ sauce
- Place the chicken between 2 pieces of cling film. Using a meat mallet, pound to slightly flatten. Repeat with all the chicken.
- Place maple syrup, smoked paprika and garlic in a bowl. Add the chicken and rub in the marinade. Place into an airtight container and cover. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or ideally overnight if you can.
- To make the slaw, combine cabbage, carrot and onion in a bowl. Add mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season to taste. Combine thoroughly. Store in a container until needed.
- Heat a griddle pan or if the weather is good enough a BBQ to medium-high heat. Add bacon to grill. Cook for 4 minutes each side or until golden. Keep warm until needed.
- Reduce heat to medium. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- When almost cooked brush with a little of the smoked BBQ sauce. Finish and keep warm until needed.
- Divide lettuce among roll bases. Top each with slaw, tomato, bacon and chicken. Brush their chicken again with a little BBQ sauce. Place the tops on the burgers.
- Serve these burgers with grilled, buttered sweetcorn and potato wedges.