Arun Kapil's Tamil chicken curry & spicy gravy.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1kg chicken drumsticks, bone in, skin and knuckle removed
- 450g to 550g chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed
- 25ml grape seed oil
- 1 x 25g sachet Green Saffron Madras blend
- 1/2 large white onion
- 40g ginger root
- 5 cloves garlic
- 500ml to 600ml warm water
- Preheat your oven to gas 8, 220°C
- Blitz the onion, ginger and garlic to a paste in a food processor or pestle and mortar along with a tablespoon of water. Set aside.
- Put the chicken into a mixing bowl, sprinkle 2tsp of the Green Saffron spice blend and pour the oil over. Mix well then tip into a large casserole dish. Put in the oven for 35mins.
- Remove from the oven, take out the chicken pieces, set aside on a plate.
- Put the casserole on your hob, add all the onion paste, stir on a high heat for a moment or two then add the remaining spice blend, stir, then immediately pour in the water.
- Slide the chicken pieces back into the pot, resting juices and all, half cover the pot with its lid, gently simmer for 30 to 40mins until the chicken is cooked and is just starting to come away from the bone.
- Serve immediately with my Golden Sultana Pilau and Salt Lemon Riata, generously coating everything in loads of the gravy. Enjoy!