Prep time: 45 mins plus time to cool
For the Tarts:
- 1x 320g chilled all butter puff pastry roll
- 25g plain flour
- 25g icing sugar
- 250g Demerara sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 strips lemon zest
- 200 ml water
- 2 whole free range eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 50g cornflour - sieved
- 500 ml full fat milk
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- Icing Sugar for dusting and mugs of tea!!!
- Preheat the oven to 200oC
- Make the syrup by bringing the sugar, water, cinnamon stick and lemon zest to the boil. Allow to simmer slowly until it reaches a syrup consistency. Allow to cool and then strain through a sieve.
- Combine the flour and icing sugar together. Dust your work surface with the mix. Roll out the puff pastry into a rectangle shape. Sprinkle the orange zest over the pastry.
- Roll the pastry tightly into a sausage shape starting at the longest side. Cut the pastry into 1.5cm cylinders. Dust your surface again and roll each cylinder into disks, enough to fill 2 x greased muffin trays.
- Press the pastry into each mould. Place into the fridge until needed.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, egg yolks and cornflour until smooth. In a pot heat the milk and vanilla extract until just below boiling.
- Pour the hot milk over the egg mix and whisk together. Pour back into the pot and over a low heat cook, continuously stirring with a wooden spoon until it coats the back of the spoon.
- After a couple of minutes remove from the heat and add the cooled syrup to the custard and whisk until thickened. Pass through a sieve.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and pour the custard into each one. Fill to about two thirds full.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for approx 16 mins or until the pastry is golden and the custard has caramelised slightly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool dust with icing sugar and remove from the trays.
- Serve with a big mug of tea and enjoy!