Paul McDonald's chicken and chorizo casserole with chickpeas.
Serves 2 persons
- 4 chicken legs skin on bone out
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper chopped into 12 big chunks (150g)
- 50g chorizo, chopped into rough pieces
- 3 cloves garlic crushed (15g)
- 1/2 red onion chopped into 6 big chunks (75g)
- 14 whole cherry tomatoes (125g)
- 20g green olives
- 1 sprig thyme (5g)
- Tinned chick peas (225g tin) drained and washed gives about 150g usable weight
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (35g)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (15g)
- 1/2 super market pack of flat parsley, roughly chopped (15g)
- Place a very heavy bottomed pan (cast iron is best) over a medium/low heat, add the first tablespoon of olive put the chicken skin side down into the cold pan with olive oil.
- Allow this cook on the medium/low heat for 45 minutes to an hour, try not to be tempted to check the skin it will stick for now but will release itself when it is ready to. If it takes any less than 45 mins you are going too quick and will not end up with the glassy crispy skin that we want.
- Once your chicken has cooked for 45/60 mins skin side down, have a look at the skin side, it should be a nice deep golden colour and the chicken should be almost cooked all the way through.
- Flip the legs over so that the flesh side is now against the bottom of the pan and allow cook for just a few minutes (2 mins) this is to seal the flesh side a little to help keep the heat in.
- Now remove the chicken legs from the pan, and add in the red pepper, chorizo, garlic, red onion, cherry tomatoes, green olives and thyme all at once, turn the heat up to medium/high.
- Stir around a little so that any chicken fat left in the bottom of the pan is now coating all the veg, now place your chicken legs back into the pan on top of the vegetables flesh side down, this means as your vegetables cook and release flavour your chicken absorbs it and any juices releasing from your chicken legs run through your vegetables
- Allow this cook for 5/10 mins or until your vegetables are softened slightly and cooked gently.
- Now add your chickpeas, make sure they get to the bottom of the pan so they heat up, followed by the chopped parsley, vinegar and olive oil season well with salt and shake the pan or stir with a spoon.
- Serve in the casserole dish that it is cooked in and your guests can help themselves