This is a wonderfully scented and warming dish, perfect for this harsh weather. The chicken is deliciously moist, literally falls off the bone.
- 3 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- A chicken jointed into six (ask your friendly butcher to joint the chicken for you)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons of mustard seeds
- 3 red chillies
- A knob of ginger – finely chopped or grated
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 2 garlic gloves finely chopped
- Handful of curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 400g tin of good quality chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Steamed rice to serve
- Fresh coriander
- Pre heat the oven to 150C. You will need an oven proof pot with a lid and non stick frying pan.
- Warm 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan and lightly brown the chicken on all sides, you may need to do this in a few batches.
- Lightly grind the cumin, coriander, curry leaves and black mustard seeds, releasing their wonderful aroma.
- Heat the remaining spoon of oil in your oven proof saucepan, when hot add the ground spices and cook for a minutes then add the onions, garlic, ginger and turmeric, stirring from time to time so that nothing burns or sticks to the saucepan.
- After a few minutes add the chopped tomatoes, rinse out the can with a 100ml of water and add also, then add the coconut milk, bring to a simmer, add the chicken into the pan and bring to a simmer. Put the lid on the pan and put in a preheated oven for 1hour 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 10 minutes, then serve with steamed rice and fresh coriander.