A decadent dish from Eunice Power.
- 4 free range egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- A tablespoon of crushed hazelnuts
- 300ml cream, whipped until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed
- A tablespoon of Nutella / chocolate spread
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Line a baking 2 baking sheets with baking parchment
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed, then whisk in the sugar, one tablespoonful at a time, until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Sprinkle the corn flour and vinegar over the egg white, and fold in lightly with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the meringue onto the baking parchment in eight mounds, using a dessert spoon to flatten the top or smooth the sides. Sprinkle each one with crushed hazelnut.
- Place into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 120C/250F/Gas ½. Cook for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, remove the meringue bases from the oven (you can keep the meringue in an airtight container for a couple of days or store in the freezer for up to one month).
- An hour before serving assemble the pavlovas , whip the cream then whisk in the Nutella. Divide the Nutella cream between the 8 pavlovas decorate with berries and grated chocolate, or whatever you have to hand.