Paul McDonald's chorizo risotto for tea and Arancini for the freezer.
To make the risotto
- Sweat the onions with a little oil in the pot until soft and translucent, now add the garlic and chorizo and continue to cook until the chorizo releases its oil.
- Turn up the heat and add the carnarolli rice and mix to ensure all the grains get coated in the chorizo oil, and you can hear them roasting and cracking a little.
- Add the white wine all at once and allow boil down until almost all the wine has evaporated (this happens quite quickly)
- Add the hot stock 1 ladle at a time not adding the next until the last one is at least half gone you will start to see it more like risotto when you are about half way into the stock keep adding until all but one ladle of the stock is gone and you have a nice risotto like consistency. Reserve the last ladle worth of stock for later.
- Now "beat" in the butter with your wooden spoon. Once the butter is fully emulsified and you no longer see it beat in the Parmesan cheese again until you can't see it, and finally beat in the mascarpone, taste and adjust seasoning with salt.
- Rest off the heat for four minutes, after this see if you want to add the last bit of stock that depends how wet you like it, and how old your rice was. At the last minute add your leafy greens and turn just a few times until the leafy greens have wilted.
- Plate up and enjoy you will have some leftovers keep them for your Arancini.
For the Arancini
- With last nights or leftover risotto we can make arancini so long as our risotto is cold and thicker than you would like it for a normal risotto it's good to go!
- Ball the risotto between the palms of your hand to a size of a little smaller than a golf ball.
- If they get warm or this takes you a while Place in the fridge for twenty minutes until they are firm.
- Now roll the balls in the flour taking them out and dusting off any excess flour before placing them in the egg mix
- Roll them around in the egg mix ensuring they are completely coated in egg mix then lifting out one at a time and shaking off any excess egg wash before placing them in the bread crumbs
- Now roll them around the bread crumbs ensuring they are well coated before lifting out and shaking of any excess.
- Now we can place into a tray or plastic container and freeze to use whenever we want.
- Heat the fryer to 180oc place a few Arancini into the fryer (not too many) and allow fry until deep golden, push the prong of a fork inside and hold it there for a few seconds then remove and place the fork against your lip to check if they are hot, if not you can fry a little longer or if you don’t want to make them any darker place in the oven for a few minutes.
- Enjoy with a nice salad and your favourite mayonnaise.