Sweet potato soup from Be More Vegan by Niki Webster
Try this warm, hearty and really quite easy sweet potato soup – perfect for a weekday lunch.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 500ml veg stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- Twist of black pepper
- ½tsp salt
- Toasted seeds or nuts
- A swirl of plant-based yoghurt
- Pinch of chilli flakes (if you like some spice!)
- Chop the onion into small dice, and chop the garlic up finely.
- Add the onion to a large pan with the olive oil and sauté for seven to eight minutes on a low heat. Add in the spices, garlic and fry for a further few minutes.
- Next add the sweet potato, veg stock, coconut milk, tomato purée to the pan and simmer for 15 minutes covered – until the sweet potato is soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off the heat and then blitz using a hand blender, until smooth and creamy.
- Add more water if you'd like it thinner. Top with the toasted seeds, plant-based yoghurt, and chilli flakes if using.
Be More Vegan by Niki Webster, photography by Nassimer Rothacker, is published by Welbeck Publishing. Available now.