- ½ small pineapple roughly chopped
- 250 g mango chunks defrosted – (I use frozen)
- 100 mls water
- 50g sugar
- 3 passion fruit
- 175g plain sponge such as madeira cake roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- Custard (recipe below)
- 250f Tub half fat crème fraiche
- 275ml Cream
- 2 Tbsp muscovado sugar
For the custard
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 dessert spoon of cornflour
- 1 dessert spoon sugar Seeds from 1 vanilla pod or 5ml spoon of vanilla essence
- 300ml milk
- Begin by making the syrup. Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, simmer over a gentle heat until the sugar is dissolved then bring to the boil for a minute or two.
- Add the mango, pineapple and passion fruit to the syrup and allow to cool, then stir in the rum. For the custard, whisk the cornflour, egg yolks and sugar together.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan when it comes to simmering point pour it on the egg yolks and whisk constantly. Return to the pan. Cook gently stirring until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Allow to cool.
- Spoon half the fruit into your trifle bowl, scatter half the sponge on top and spoon some of the syrup over the sponge to moisten the sponge.
- Drizzle half the custard over the sponge and repeat the three layers again. Whist together the cream and half fat crème fraiche in a bowl until thick.
- Spoon over the custard and sprinkle with the muscovado sugar. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Irish Yogurts Clonakilty