Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8:30pm.
Takes 1 hour
- 1kg floury potatoes, cut into chunks
- 150g butter
- 750ml whole milk
- 50g plain flour2tsp dijon mustard
- 150ml double cream
- 150g baby spinach
- 200g peeled Atlantic prawns
- 600g undyed smoked haddock, skinless and boneless, cut into large chunks
- 600g firm white fish, skinless and boneless, cut into large chunks
- 1½ tbsp capers, drained
- 25g bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 30g gruyère or mature cheddar, grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 minutes until very tender.
- Drain, then return to the pan over a medium heat for 30 seconds to dry.
- Mash with half the butter, 250ml milk and two thirds of the cheese.
- In a saucepan melt the remaining 100g butter and add the flour to the pan, cook for a minute or two more then gradually stir in the remaining 500mlmilk and cream to form a thick, shiny, sauce.
- Stir in the mustard and season to taste.
- Turn off the heat, then stir in the spinach and allow to wilt. Mix the prawns, fish, capers, and parsley into the sauce. Pour over the sauce and mix well.
- Top with the mashed potato, then scatter over the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and crisp and the filling is piping hot