Watch Neven's Christmas Menu on Wednesday, December 9th at 7.30pm on RTÉ One.
Serves 4 (approximately, depending on serving dishes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 150ml Cream
- 150ml Milk
- 200g plain chocolate, broken up (minimum 55% cocoa solids)
- Crushed amaretti biscuits, to serve
- Orange segments, to serve
- Mini malteesers, to serve
- Mint sprigs to serve
- Orange caramel, to serve
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp powdered glucose
- 400ml Orange Juice
- Whisk eggs & sugar until thickened
- In a medium saucepan heat cream & milk until scalded and then pour over egg mixture
- Return to the pot and slowly cook, stirring continuously until the mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon/spatula
- Pour over chocolate in a bowl and blend with hand blender
- Transfer to glass serving dishes or a container and allow to set overnight in the fridge
- To serve, if chilled in a large container, scoop the cremeux onto plates. Sprinkle over the crushed amaretti biscuits & malteesers. Arrange the segments of orange around the cremeux and finish with sprigs of mint.
- Place the sugar, glucose and 250ml (9fl oz) of water into a heavy-based, high sided pot.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until you have achieved a golden caramel colour. The sugar syrup should be a thick honey consistency but not too runny.
- Add the orange juice slowly, it will boil up vigorously so take care at this point, whisk until the sugar has dissolved and you are left with a smooth syrup.