Add roasted garlic or chives for a delicious twist of flavour.
- 1kg rooster potatoes, peeled
- 250g butter, cut into small dice
- 75ml cream
- table sea salt
- grounded white pepper
Mum's Roast Potatoes
This is my Mum's recipe and they've never failed me. There’s no doubt that the fat from the roast meat makes the best roast potatoes. Alternatively if you ever roast a goose or duck save every drop of the fat and freeze it down in ice cube trays, then bag it to use at your leisure– even a couple added to your oil will help the flavour.
- 675 g/1 1/2 lb floury potatoes cut into large even-sized chunks (such as Rooster or Golden Wonder, preferably all similar in size)
- Duck fat
- Salt to season
- Cut the potatoes into chunks and place in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 20 – 25 minutes until softened, then strain to remove excess water.
- Warm up the cream, and set aside.
- Using a potato ricer, Mash the potatoes with the butter ( place the butter with the potatoes in the ricer). Combine the mashed potatoes and butter and gently add in the cream until the right consistency is achieved. Season with salt and grounded white pepper.
- Serve immediately or keep covered in a warm place until needed or maximum 2-3 hours.
Mum's Roast Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Place the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the outsides have just softened.
- Drain and return to the pan for a minute or two to dry out.
- Meanwhile, preheat a roasting tin with a 4 tbsps. of oil, or dripping, duck or goose fat for a few minutes until just smoking.
- Put the lid back on the potatoes and shake vigorously to break up and soften the edges or roughly prod the outside of the potatoes with a fork. Carefully tip them into the hot oil, basting the tops.
- Place the roasting tin with the potatoes back in the oven and cook for 40 minutes, then pour off the majority of the fat before turning the potatoes over.
- Season to taste with the salt and cook for a further 20 minutes until crispy around the edges and golden brown.
- To serve, tip the roast potatoes into a warmed serving dish.