Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8.30pm.
Takes 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 spring onion, finely sliced
- 4 stick celery, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 large courgette, diced into 1cm pieces
- 1ltr fresh veg or chicken stock
- 150g small pasta
- 150g frozen garden peas
- For the grilled cheese
- 100g broccoli, finely chopped
- 150g Cheddar, grated
- 100g Gruyere, grater
- 8 slices white sourdough
- 100g unsalted butter, Softened
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the spring onions, celery, garlic and courgette for 10 minutes. Season well and add the stock.
- Bring to the boil then add the pasta and cook for 10 minutes. Stir through the peas and cook for a minute or two more. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, set your finely chopped broccoli to one side. Mix the two cheeses together. Heat an ovenproof frying pan or griddle over a high heat.
- Butter both the inside and outside of your bread slices and spread the inside with dijon.
- Layer up 4 of the slices with cheese, broccoli and then a little cheese again. Top with a second
- Put in the hot pan and press down firmly with a spatula. Cook until golden on one side then flip and cook further until melted and golden.
- Cut in half and serve with the soup.