Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8.30pm.
Cook time: 40 minutes
For the chicken:
- 75g cornflakes
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 chicken thighs
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- For the salad:
- 1kg baby potatoes, halved lengthways
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- For the dressing:
- Large handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Arrange the potatoes on a large roasting tray, drizzle with oil and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with honey and pop into the oven for 35-40 minutes, until crispy, caramelised and golden.
- Crush the cornflakes to a fine in a zip lock bag, add the rest of the dry chicken ingredients to the bag, along with salt and pepper. Seal the bag and shake the dry mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Tip out into a flat plate and into a bowl pour the buttermilk. One by one dredge each thigh into the buttermilk first and then the cornflake mixture, pressing the mix into the chicken.
- Take a shallow pan, pour in 1cm of sunflower oil and put on a medium/high heat. Once oil is hot, add your coated chicken thighs. Turn after 3-4 minutes or until the coating is crispy and golden.
- To make the dressing, blitz all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Mix the dressing in with the hot potatoes along with thinly sliced red onion.
- Arrange the potatoes and crispy chicken on a plate. Finish with a sprinkle of parsley.