Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8.30pm.
Cook time: 1 hour
For the chicken:
- 1.2kg free-range corn fed chicken
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
For the potatoes:
- 1kg baby potatoes, halved if large
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, needles stripped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
For the sauce:
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200ml hot chilli sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 150g blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayo
- Juice ½ lemon
- 3 celery sticks and leaves, finely sliced
- 1 baby gem, leaves removed and sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C /400°F/Gas mark 6.
- To prepare the chicken, place the bird breast-down and, using heavy pair of sharp scissors (or poultry shears), cut along either side of the back bone to remove it. Open the bird out and flip it over breast-side up and, using your fist, push down hard on the breast to break the bone.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting tin, drizzle with oil, season, then sprinkle with the spices and rub in. Oven roast the chicken for 45-50minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Arrange the potatoes in a roasting tray, drizzle with oil. Season and sprinkle with the herbs. Tossing to coat. Add to the oven with your chicken and roast for 35 minutes
- For the sauce, put the butter, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt and black pepper together in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- You may want to swap the roasting tins halfway through the cooking time so both get a good colour. Once the chicken has cooked, slather in the sauce.
- Blend 100g of the blue cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice together with a fork until smooth.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the oven and portion into breasts, wings, and legs, drizzle over any remaining sauce. Serve the chicken with the potatoes, salad and the blue cheese dressing along with the remaining 50g blue cheese.