A comforting treat.
Prep/Cook Time: 1hr 45 mins
- 4 potatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100g smoked streaky bacon – I prefer pancetta but smoked streaky is fine
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 90g grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1 small tub of sour cream – plus extra for serving
- 3 scallions – finely sliced
- Salt & pepper to season
- Preheat your oven to 180oC
- Prick your potatoes with a fork. Place on a tray in your oven.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, they'll take about an hour, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the smoked bacon until crispy. This will take about 5 or 6 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cooked remove from the oven and carefully cut in half. Scoop out the potato flesh into a sieve over a bowl trying to keep the skin in one piece.
- Push the potato flesh through the sieve. This has to be done when it's still hot.
- Take the scooped out skins and place, on a tray, back in the oven until lightly golden and crisp, about 6-7 minutes.
- To the warm sieved potato add the cream, butter, 2 tbsp sour cream, bacon, most of the cheese & sliced scallions holding back some of each to sprinkle on top
- Add salt and pepper to the mix and lightly mix it all together.
- Take the halved potato skins and spoon the mix into each of them.
- When all the skins are filled place back on a tray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and place back in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Once all the cheese has melted and is golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Garnish with the sliced scallions and serve with the remaining sour cream and a side salad.