Watch Donal's Family Food in Minutes on RTÉ One, Wednesdays at 8.30pm.
Takes 20 minutes plus chilling
- 300g butter
- 200ml golden syrup
- 300g dark chocolate (good quality, at least 60% cocoa), broken into pieces
- 200g digestive biscuits, roughly broken
- 250g rich tea biscuits, roughly broken
- 100g Maltesers, or similar
- 100g mini marshmallows
For the glaze
- 100g dark chocolate (minimum 60% cocoa)
- 25g unsalted butter
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 75ml double cream
- Hundreds and thousands to decorate
- Grease and line a 20 cm/8" round cake tin.
- Melt the butter, syrup and chocolate in a pan over a low heat. Stir to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed together. Allow to cool a little before stirring through the biscuits, maltesers and marshmallows and stir well to combine evenly.
- Spoon into the prepared tin. Level it on top and press down well to avoid air bubbles. Cover and leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours until solid and set.
- Once the cake has almost set, make the glaze. Melt the chocolate and butter in a small pot, when melted, remove from the heat, whisk in the icing sugar and the cream.
- Allow to cool until the mixture becomes thick enough to leave a figure of eight on the surface. Pour over the cake and leave to set at room temperature before cutting.