Watch Tastes Like Home on RTÉ One on Mondays at 8:30pm.
For the donuts
- 250g strong flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 50ml water
- 50ml milk
- 1 egg
- 60g butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp quick action yeast
- Oil, for frying
For the cinnamon walnut crumble
- 100g plain flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp walnuts, crushed
- 40g brown sugar
- 40g caster sugar
- 60g butter
For the lemon icing
- 170g sifted icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 drops of lemon food colouring
- Zest of lemon & edible flowers to finish
- To make the crumble, preheat the oven to 180C/Fan 160C/ Gas 4.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, walnuts, brown sugar and caster sugar together in a bowl and rub in the butter. Spread onto a lined tray and bake for 15 minutes until crispy.
- Then remove from the oven and leave to cool before running your fingers through it to crumble the mix.
- To prepare the donuts, warm the water and milk in a saucepan until just lukewarm.
- Take is off the heat and whisk in the egg and butter.
- Place the sugar, flour and yeast into the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook attached and while the machine is slowly turning, pour in the warm liquid until a soft dough forms. Increase the speed and beat the dough for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Then place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm, draught-free place. The dough should rise and double in size in 1 ½ hours.
- Cut out 12 x 10cm square pieces of parchment.
- Roll the dough out to 4cm in thickness on a floured surface.
- Using a cutter 7cm in diameter, cut shapes and another cutter of 2cm for the centre. Keep the small dough rounds to fry later.
- Place the donut shapes onto the parchment squares and then on a tray. Brush with some oil then place in a dough rising oven (or a warm draught free area) for 40 minutes approximately until doubled in size.
- Then heat a wide saucepan with about 8cm of oil in the pan and test the oil with one of the small rounds.
- Cook the donuts until golden on both sides, turning them over a couple of times. (Allow about 1 ½ minutes per side). Place on kitchen paper.
- To make the icing, place the icing into a bowl, stir in the lemon juice to form a smooth icing add a little lemon colour and set aside.
- To assemble, take a warm donut and dip into the icing on the top side. Then dip in the walnut crumble. Repeat with the remaining donuts.
- Add lemon zest to the top, garnish with edible flowers and enjoy!