This is one of my all-time favourite dishes and a really good "go-to" if you want something quick and easy to feed the family. This is the authentic way of cooking carbonara and therefore there's no cream, chicken, mushrooms you might see in places.
Prep/Cook Time: Approx 20 mns
- 50g smoked pancetta, ideally it would be guanciale, smoked streaky bacon will do
- 400g spaghetti
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 90g grated fresh parmesan
- 4 whole eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a pot of boiling salted water.
- Cook the pasta in the boiling water according to the packet instructions, until al dente (slightly firm to bite)
- While the pasta is cooking heat a large pan and add the olive oil. Fry the pancetta until crisp all round.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and add the freshly grated parmesan. Season with a couple of twists of black pepper.
- When the pasta is ready drain it and reserve a couple of ladles of the pasta water. Add the pasta to the pan with the pancetta/bacon and mix well.
- Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add a ladle of the pasta water to the pan and then add in the egg and cheese mix. Stir quickly in order to coat all the pasta and bacon with the mix.
- Season with pepper again and serve immediately.
- Serve with a big wedge of parmesan so you can add more if you like.
- A few slices of homemade garlic bread will go down really well with this too.
- You can't get a much simpler, tastier & cheaper meal for a family.