Catherine's Prawn tacos with mango sweetcorn salsa & red pepper and black bean tacos with Pico de Gallo.
For the Pico de Gallo (Fresh Tomato Salsa)
- 700g fresh ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies (seeds removed), finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- Large handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground cumin, more to taste
- Salt, to taste
For the Mango & Sweetcorn Salsa
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 100g sweetcorn
- 1 red chilli, minced
- ½ cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- I lime, juice only
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chilli diced
For the Red Pepper and Black Bean
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 red peppers, sliced thinly
- 300g cooked black beans
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp water, as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Prawns
- 250g prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 corn tortilla wraps, to serve
- Sour cream, to serve
- Shredded lettuce, to serve
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced, to serve
- Coriander sprigs, to garnish
- For the Pico de Gallo, mix all the ingredients together and set aside for about 1 hour, allowing the flavours to infuse.
- To prepare the red pepper and black bean filling, heat a large frying pan and add a little oil. Add the onion and red pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes before adding the chilli, cook for about 2 minutes then add the paprika, cumin and a good seasoning of salt.
- Stir in the black beans and simmer until cooked and flavours have melded – this will take about 10 minutes, check the seasoning, adding more salt to taste. If, at this stage, the mix is too dry, stir in a little hot water. Finish with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
- To prepare the mango salsa, combine the mango, chilli, sweetcorn, coriander, cucumber and lime juice together. Add the salt, stir well and set aside.
- To prepare the prawns, preheat a pan on medium and add the prawns, cook for 1 minute or until they are pink on one side before turning them over and cooking for 30 seconds on the other side.
- Quickly add the lime juice, lime zest, garlic and red chilli to the pan, finishing with parsley and salt to taste.
- To serve, place the polenta flatbreads or shop bought corn tortillas in a preheated oven at 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4, wrapped in foil to warm up for about 5 minutes.
- Place some shredded lettuce in each tortilla, followed by either the prawn or the red pepper and black bean filling. Top the latter with the pico do gallo and top the prawns with the mango salsa.
- Finish with avocado slices, sour cream and some fresh coriander.