The sausage meat and bacon will bring extra fat for extra flavour. You can use mince pork as an alternative to sausages.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 500g beef, minced
- 200g sausage meat
- 100g streaky bacon, sliced into lardons
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrot, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped - optional
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tins (400ml) chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 200ml beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- 300g spaghetti
- 50g parmesan grated
- Over high heat, in a large sauté pan, drizzle the oil and add the onion, carrot, garlic, celery. Cook for 1 minute and set aside in a small plate.
- Leave the pan on the heat and in batches, brown the minced beef, sausage meat and bacon. Sear and brown for 4-5 minutes stirring once or twice to break large lumps of beef.
- Add the vegetables back in the pan and add the oregano, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, beef stock. Stir to combine. Place a lid and bring to simmer. Drop the heat to a low heat and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Check the seasoning.
- In the meantime, cook the spaghetti as per pack instruction in a large saucepan of salted water.
- Drain and serve with the beef Ragu and a sprinkle of parmesan over.