Catherine's Spiced Bramley Apple Cake with Maple Whiskey Glaze.
Serves 8 to 10
For the cake
- 200g softened butter
- 180g light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 apple
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ lemon, zest only
- 60ml milk
For the topping
- 3 pink lady apples
- 100ml maple syrup
- 40g butter
- 3 tbsp Whiskey
Optional for a frosting
- 500g mascarpone
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 140g icing sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Line a 22cm loose base springform tin with baking parchment.
- Place the butter and sugar into a mixer and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs together in a bowl with a fork and mix in stages into the butter and sugar, adding 1 tbsp of flour to stabilise as needed
- Quickly peel and dice small the bramley apple, then fold into the egg mixture.
- Sift the plain flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Fold the flour and spices into the egg mixture and add the lemon zest.
- Add the milk in to form a soft cake batter.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Insert a skewer to check that it is ready. It should come out clean.
- Cool on a rack before taking out of the tin.
- Meantime, pour the maple syrup into a pan with the butter and whiskey and leave to simmer for 4 to 5 minutes until a fluid sauce forms, stirring from time to time. Slice the pink lady apples in even wedges and add them to the sauce and leave to cook a little, until the apples absorb the lovely flavours from the sauce. Then let cool
- To make the frosting whisk together the mascarpone, sour cream, lemon zest and juice and icing sugar. Taste and adjust as needed by adding more lemon or icing sugar.
- To decorate spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake and arrange the apples in a rose petal fashion on top.