A fresh and vibrant dinner for hot days.
For the cod:
- 1 x 500g fillet of cod - pin boned
- Fine sea salt for salting
For the tomato salad:
- 4 heirloom tomatoes - room temperature, Sliced in different shapes and sizes
- 2 tbsp capers - rinsed under cold water
- 2 red onions - sliced very thinly
- handful of parsley leaves, chopped
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salsa verde:
- Selection of green herbs including mint, flat parsley & basil
- 10 anchovy fillets
- 75g capers - rinsed
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the salsa:
- Place all the ingredients except the olive oiling a blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly blend in with the olive oil until you reach your desired consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Place in an airtight container or sterilised jar until needed.
For the cod:
- Take the cod fillet and lightly dust the flesh side only in fine sea salt all over.
- Roll tightly in cling film and place in the fridge for one hour. Doing this helps the cod firm up and will be less likely to break up when cooked.
- Remove the cod from the fridge and wash thoroughly to remove the salt. Dry well and roll again in cling film.
- Leave in the fridge for at least 3 to 4 hours (ideally overnight). Remove from the fridge and cut into 4 even portions. Take off the cling film from each portion.
- Preheat your oven to 180oC.
- Place a pan over a medium to high heat and place down a sheet of greaseproof paper. Add a drizzle of oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the cod, skin side down and cook for 2/3 minutes. Transfer to the oven and cook for 5 minutes or until your reached your preferred cooking temp.
- Remove from the oven, turn the cod over so that it is skin side up and on a low heat add a knob of unsalted butter and baste for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
For the salad:
- Place the cut tomatoes into a bowl. Allow them to come to room temperature.Add the sliced red onion. Drizzle with olive oil and season. Sprinkle with capers and parsley.
- When ready to serve place the tomato salad in the centre of your serving dish. Place the cooked cod on top and drizzle with the salsa verde and serve.
- Drizzle some more olive oil around.