A delicious dessert, perfect for summer!
- 8 free range egg whites
- 500g Caster sugar
- 4 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Icing sugar
For the filling:
- 700ml cream, whipped until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed
- 100g icing sugar
- 3 punnets (227g each)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Line a baking 3 sheets with baking parchment and draw 2 x 8inch and one 7inch diameter circles onto each one.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed, then whisk in the sugar, one tablespoonful at a time, until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Sprinkle the corn flour and vinegar over the egg white, and fold in lightly with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the meringue onto the baking parchment within the marked circles using a spatula to flatten the top and smooth the sides.
- Place into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 120C/250F/Gas ½. Cook for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, remove the meringue bases from the oven (you can keep the meringue in an airtight container for a couple of days or store in the freezer for up to one month).
- An hour before serving assemble the pavlova.
- Slice the strawberries, dust with icing sugar and fold into cream..To assemble, place 8inch circle of meringue on serving plate, top with half the cream, top with next 8inch circle and the remaining cream, sprinkle with redcurrants, followed by the 7 inch top layer. Pile the remaining cream on top.Give a good dusting of icing sugar before serving.