A lot of people have returned to baking at home during current times and there's nothing better than a good scone. Scones don't have to be with fruit, they can also be savoury.
Makes approx: 15/16 scones
- 375g plain flour - sieved
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder- sieved
- 70 cold diced butter
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs - 1 for dough and 1 for brushing
- 160 ml buttermilk
- Whatever filling you want - dried fruit, frozen berries, cheese, cooked bacon, etc
- Preheat the oven to 185/190oC
- Mix dry ingredients - except fruit or flavouring.
- Rub in butter to the flour mix until resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Whisk 1 egg with the buttermilk and add to the dry mix.
- Add whatever fruit or flavouring you are using. You can split the mix into 2 or even into 3 batches and mix in the different flavourings so that you can have an assortment.
- Combine until it all comes together and forms a dough.
- Rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll out on a dusted worktop to 2cm thickness.
- Cut with a 7 cm round pastry cutter & place on a tray lined with parchment.
- Rest for 15 to 20 mins.
- Glaze with remaining egg and dust with flour or top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 15 mins and remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the fruit scones with good quality butter, jam and cream and serve the savoury ones with a cup of soup or even some fried chicken.