Lilly Higgins serves up comfort in a bowl with mashed potato and crispy black pudding.
- 4lb Potatoes (I used Roosters), peeled and cut into chunks
- 900g tart eating apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 60g butter
- 3 onions, halved and finely sliced
- 2 x 280g sausages of black pudding
- Place the potatoes in a large pan over a high heat. Barely cover with boiling water and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile place the apples in a pan with a few tbsp of water, simmer gently until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and apples. Mash both well in their separate pans before seasoning the apple with nutmeg and the potatoes with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the onions. Gently fry until they begin to soften and turn golden. Remove the onion and keep warm. Cut the puddings into 12 generous slices or more and fry in the remaining butter until cooked through.
- To serve gently ripple the apple through the potatoes and distribute between six plates. Top with the onions and pudding.