The leeks and fennel can be prepared 2 days in advance and kept in a suitable container in the fridge.



  • 2 leeks
  • 2 fennel bulbs
  • 250g baby new potatoes
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil (15g)
  • 4 skinless chicken thighs (on the bone)
  • 250ml chicken stock (made from ½ reduced salt cube)
  • 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard (15g)
  • 5g fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper


  1. Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / gas mark 6. Trim and slice the leeks. Trim the fennel bulbs and cut into thin wedges. Cut the baby potatoes in half. Peel and finely grate the garlic.
  2. Heat a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Season the chicken thighs with a little salt (optional) and pepper to taste. Add one teaspoon of the oil and then add the chicken to the pan presentation side down.
  3. Cook for about 5 minutes until well sealed all over and lightly browned, turning regularly with a tongs. Transfer to a roasting tin. 
  4. Scatter the leeks, fennel and potatoes around the chicken. Stir the mustard and garlic into the stock and then pour into the tin.
  5. Drizzle over the remaining two teaspoons of oil and season to taste with pepper. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is piping how with no pink meat and the juices run clear and the vegetables are nicely caramelized (all the stock should be evaporated).
  6. Cut into the chicken close to the bone to check that is properly done. Remember to wash your hands and utensils in warm soapy water after handling raw chicken. 
  7. Divide the chicken and leek traybake between plates and tear over the parsley leaves to serve.

Prepare Ahead
The leeks and fennel can be prepared 2 days in advance and kept in a suitable container in the fridge. The stock mixture could also be made up and kept covered in the fridge so there is no prep involved when you are ready to cook.

It can also be made in advance and put in an airtight container in the fridge within 2 hours of cooking for up to 3 days. Only reheat once in the microwave or in a preheated oven 180C / 350F / gas mark 4 covered with tin foil for about 20 minutes until piping hot.