The ultimate comfort food.
Mac & cheese
- 250g macaroni or any small pasta
- 1 small onion diced
- 150g chopped smoked bacon
- 50g plain flour
- 50g butter
- 500ml milk
- 1 tablespoon Wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 200g grated red cheddar or any cheese or your choice
- 4 scallions chopped
- Salt & pepper
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 50g melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 200ºC/180ºC Fan
- In a medium pot, boil the pasta for two minutes less than the cooking instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a frying pan, slowly cook the onions and bacon until the onions are soft and bacon is cooked, put to one side until needed.
- Melt the butter in a pot and add the flour, stir to combine. Slowly add the milk whisking to remove lumps. Continue to do this until all the milk is added.
- To this add the mustard and the grated cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Fold in the pasta, bacon, onions and the scallions. Check for seasoning.
- Place all of this into a oven proof baking dish.
- For the topping, melt the butter and mix with the breadcrumbs. Spoon this over the top and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.